Settling baby to sleep
L'il Fraser Collection embraces the Karitane guidelines for baby settling.
The right strategy to get your baby to sleep will depend on what works for both of you.
For any settling strategy, first consider the following:
- It’s important to provide a Safe Sleep Environment.
- Before trying a new strategy, you might like to try our Crying Baby Checklist.
- Persevere – your baby is unlikely to relax if you keep switching strategy every few minutes!
- As a general rule, continue with your chosen strategy for 30 – 40 minutes.
- However, if your baby is becoming more and more unsettled, then it is right to change the strategy. Persisting with a strategy that is not working only makes your baby more tired and harder to settle
- It is not always easy to know when to persist and when it is best to change strategies. For help deciding, call the Karitane Careline on 1300 227 464 (available 7 days a week).
- If you are trying to change how to settle your baby to sleep, allow time to adjust. It may take more than a few days.
- Don’t be afraid to seek help (see I’ve had enough! What do I do now?).
- Be consistent. If you or your baby have had enough, or your baby shows no signs of calming – stop and use a different strategy.
- Be patient – change takes time!
Have a look at the diagram and topics below to find a strategy that will work for you and your baby.